[time-nuts] Measuring TV delays

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 09:04:10 UTC 2014

From: Chris Albertson

When they broadcast "live" TV like from a sports vent I wonder if the time
code generated by the camera is preserved?  But then even if it were the
time might have been set manually to match the display on the camera
operator's cell phone.

Same for scenes with clacks in the background.  Do you trust them to be
on-time?   They might even have ben intentionally set wrong to hide the
transmit delay.
=================================

Can't comment on the camera time-code, Chris, but I would hope it was
centralised rather than being off the operator's phone!

The clocks I mentioned, F1 races, do appear to be accurate (observations
partially from being present at the event), and certainly /not/ skewed to
compensate for broadcast delay.  Other times are when you see "behind the
scenes" and a control-room clock is visible.  Usually these are centrally
synced, and can give a fair impression of the broadcast delays.

All this from UK television observations - and the programs don't have a
"bleep offensive content delay" - no nanny state here!  (Others may differ
in that view - <G>)  I recall what Alan Jones once called Michael Schumacher
on live TV, and the adjective was edited out on the repeat broadcast.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk