[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt 1pps

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 08:36:40 UTC 2014

Interesting discussion re getting the 1PPS into a PC to synchronise a
timing program.
I use WSPR for ham radio and was wondering how to do this.

Can you tell me which (Windows) time synch programs can use the 1PPS on
DCD of the RS232 interface please?

Next step would be to build a variable delay so I can trim the 1 PPS
timing for those stations which are a little off-time and can't be decoded.

thanks .................... Zim

Zim,

I've found that the 3.3V level delivered by many modern GPS boards will work
well enough with PC serial ports.  If not, an inverter plus TTL-RS232 level
converter will do the job, but I would try without first.

NTP is the program I use for time sync, and it's never let me down.  I use
it on Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.  You may find some useful information
here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/index.html

You might also consider making your own stratum-1 NTP server with the
low-cost Raspberry Pi - it works very well.  I've used a variety of
receivers both with the Pi and with Windows PCs.

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html#GPS-devices

73,
David GM8ARV