[time-nuts] 'CPLDs for clock dividers' Thread

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Mon Jan 6 06:35:57 UTC 2014

John,

I have tried to incorporate the digital dividers of a linear phase
comparator into a CPLD. While it worked "in principle" as planned I had lots
of problems when the slopes of the input signals came close to each other,
this being due to

> >> CPLDs or FPGAs are neat because you can toss all sorts of stuff into
> >> them. If you do that, you introduce opportunities for power supply
> >> level noise coupling.

The power supply coupling may change the point of time when ONE slope
appears at the outpuit of the divider in dependence of when the SECOND slope
appears. Of couse this effect is not in the order of microseconds, not even
nanaoseconds but say a few hundred picoseconds and thus some orcders of
magnitude worse than phase comparator was expected to work. A "normal"
digital designer would not care about it only time nuts do.

> > I am working on a PLL design that uses the Lattice MX02-256 for the
> > dividers and XOR phase detector.  I have not made any measurements on
> > it yet but will report back when it happens.

A PLL design will give you much less trouble with the following
justification: The low pass filter following the XOR phase comparator must
have a cut off frequency that is suited to supress the XOR's output
frequency (double the PLL's frequency) well enough. ANY kind of disturbance
that is superimposed to the XOR's output (jitter, you name it) has basically
a higher frequency than the XOR's output itself. SO it will even be better
filtered out by the low pass filter. I have done some PLLs in CPLDs without
ever getting in trouble. Get yourself the data sheet of the AD9901
frequency/phase comparator. It will show you how to improve the simple XOR
with circuitry that makes the comparator also frequency dependend. With this
the lock-in range will be the same as the lock range, a feature that is not
common for XOR based PLLs.

Best regards
Ulrich