[time-nuts] GPS Multipath from airplanes

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 16:32:53 UTC 2014

It is much more likely that the fade out is due to the changing satellite
geometry.  Some of them come into view and other go out of view.  If your
antenna site is not good there might be times where only a few are in view
or at low elevation.   If there is multi path off a plane it would last
only for a fraction of a second.  It's like catching a glint of sunlight
off a moving object.

It could also be cause by jamming.  Perhaps there is a transmitter around.
 At a place I used to work out there was an air traffic control radar near
 by.  Some equipment we had was effected by it

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> I live 20 miles south of San Francisco airport.  It's common to see a 747
> size plane flying low nearby as they head for the landing queue.
>
> My GPS antennas/receivers are not located in great places.  They fade out
> occasionally.  Some times are longer than others and such, but short
> dropouts
> are not uncommon.
>
> Does anybody have any data on multipath from large flying reflectors?  Is
> that something known to cause problems for the 10-30 seconds that a plane
> is
> near enough or am I on a wild goose chase?
>

> The obvious simple experiment would be to note the time when I see a plane
> and then check the logs, but I haven't remembered to do that yet.
>
> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.