[time-nuts] NTP as vector for DDOS attacks?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Jan 10 21:49:44 UTC 2014

This amplification attack vector is really easy to stop.  The procedure
is documented in the CERT advisory, which was released with almost no
forewarning to me or my team.  While we knew about it and drafted the
mitigation information and tweaked other portions of the announcement,
we were expecting a bit more time to prepare information for the NTP and
NTF websites.

If there are vulnerable systems out there that cannot be configured to
behave well, then the vendors of those systems will receive a wakeup
call and get a fair amount of bad press.

A silver lining is that this situation may induce folks to donate to
NTF, join NTF's NTP Consortium, and/or become inaugural members of NTF's
Certification and Compliance Program, which will make sure that default
configurations don't have these or similar problems.

It's great to talk about all of these things.

I submit it's even better for people and institutions who care about
network time to financially support Network Time Foundation.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!