[time-nuts] L1/L2 GPS Receiver

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 16 21:04:26 UTC 2014

On 16/01/14 20:29, Hal Murray wrote:

> anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com said:
>> The real benefit of dual-frequency is you can do post-processing with PPP.
>> Javad has some modules but they start at 3 kUSD - if anyone knows of hobby
>> level priced L1/L2 receivers that can produce rinex-files for PPP processing
>> that would be interesting!
>
> Has anybody considered doing it in software?
>
> If I wanted to play with that sort of stuff, is there any particular SDR
> hardware package/project that would good to start with?

You want P(Y) capable receivers, which means 20,46 MHz bandwidth on both
L1 and L2 bands. You want say 12 channels. Lots of raw sample data to
crunch on in real time. I'd say that you would really like to mimic the
traditional style of doing the mechanical stuff in HW/FPGA and then do
the remainder in some suitable processor.

Going from C/A to P(Y) is a bit challangeing on it's own, as you where
not supposed to be able to do that, only to get the P code.

Cheers,
Magnus