[time-nuts] Local Solar Time Clock

Tom Van Baak (lab) tvb at leapsecond.com
Sun Jan 19 00:22:39 UTC 2014

VCR's were well known "to reliably read 12:00 throughout the year"...

Do you want to make or buy? Using a microprocessor, it's easy to drive a stepper-motor based wall clock at slight offsets from true 32 kHz or 1 Hz rate. Converting UTC/1PPS to solar rate and time for your given location and time of year is easy with an Arduino or RPi.

You can double check the clock with a sundial.

Add NTP and DUT1 corrections for sub-second accuracy. Add GPS if you want the clock to self-adjust when moved east or west (noon moves a couple of milliseconds per meter). This feature would be especially cool if the clock were used in a vehicle.

/tvb (i5s)