[time-nuts] Local Solar Time Clock

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Jan 19 17:17:23 UTC 2014

The usual quartz clock that runs off of a AA cell is a little
trickier to drive than you might think.  You need to feed
its stepper motor coil with an alternating +1.5V and -1.5V pulse.
The pulse follows the rising or trailing edge of a 1/2 Hz square
wave.  I have driven them using a series capacitor and resistor
to ground...arranged as a differentiator, but I don't recall the
part values anymore.

You arduino could certainly be made to generate such a pulse using
a couple of resistors and a couple of digital outputs in a simple
DAC sort of circuit.

-Chuck Harris