[time-nuts] Local Solar Time Clock

Bill S biltime at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 17:27:38 UTC 2014

Chris,
Mechanical clocks that display local solar time have been built for over
a hundred fifty years. There are  mechanical wristwatches that also do
the same thing and are currently available. They're extremely expensive
but are being constructed.  The local solar time is usually presented on
the dial as a hand which displays the difference in time in minutes (+
or -) from that shown on the dial. It's a simple matter to subtract or
add the difference to the local time shown on the dial to get solar
time. I designed a clock to do this some 25 years ago and although a bit
painful to make, not really all that difficult. The clock that I
designed at the time used a differential to actually display the solar
time on the dial directly.  The solar time is determined in a clock or
watch by means of a kidney shaped cam that is actually represents the
anelemma and a follower on the cam moves a hand showing the difference
in time from that shown on the local time dial. The difference in time
is known as the equation of time. One such modern watch showing the
equation of time can be seen here
<http://www.luxist.com/2010/03/09/girard-perregaux-1966-annual-calendar-and-equation-of-time-watch/>
My personal interest has been constructing clocks showing sidereal time
which is a bit complicated gearwise(if you want really good accuracy)n
and one of mine can be seen here <www.precisionclocks.com>. I do
remember seeing quite a few years ago an electric mains clock that had
on the dial display an equation of time hand showing the difference
between local time and solar time.

I guess the bottom line is that although not impossible, it is a bit
difficult.

Bill_S