[time-nuts] Local Solar Time Clock

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 20:07:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 6:32 AM, Charles Steinmetz <csteinmetz at yandex.com>wrote:

> The question I haven't seen answered is what error band is acceptable to
> the OP.  Mark has posted that it is not terribly difficult to get within
> small fractional minutes if you start with GPS time and position data, as
> he has done for a future release of LH.  But getting to the millisecond
> level or better is likely much more difficult.

What would you do with millisecond level timing?  One can only draw to a
computer monitor about 60 to 120 times per second at most.

If the computer were driving a costom build LED numeric display it could
write milliseconds but the human eye can not detect chances about about
100Hz

Don't worry about fitting this inside a PIC, modern uPs have 32K of
storage, can be programmed in C++, have floating point math libraries and
cost $5 shipped for one mounted to a PCB with supporting electronics.
Pro-Mini-atmega328-5V-16M<http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-Mini-atmega328-5V-16M-Replace-ATmega128-Arduino-Compatible-Nano-/200957063666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec9f971f2>
I'm using something like this for robot inverse kinematics, basically some
linear algebra using 4x4 matrixes and it does it in real time with 3/4 of
the memory unused.  It is pretty easy to connect one of these to a small
cell phone sized graphic screen.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California