[time-nuts] more solar clock stuff

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon Jan 20 19:18:34 UTC 2014

I had fun with a Jefferson Mystery Clock (e.g. 370956057565); the
synchronous motor can be replaced with a stepper. 1.8 deg per step works
out just right for the gearing. it's a gas, and an arduino will drive a
simple stepper.
Don

Jim Lux
> So here's my next idea..
>

> Set up a 24 hour movement (no minute hand) so that you have the sun
> moving around the dial: at the top at solar noon, with the rate being
> reasonably constant around the dial(e.g. using the solar clock
> algorithms developed)
>
> Then, have two other pointers or sectored disks on the face to indicate
> sunrise and sunset time.  I haven't figured out the mechanical aspects,
> but maybe a small motor driving the edge of a clear plastic disk.  (or
> if there were a good cheapish source for multi axis pointer systems).
>
> One could also add a moon pointer (and all the rest of the planets too).
>   Sort of a geocentric Orrery.  The planets would need to be able run in
> both directions to accommodate retrograde apparent motion.
>
> It would be easy with laser pointers or light beams and stepper motors
> driving a tilted mirror to project moving dots on the wall, but a more
> mechanical display would look nicer, I think.
>
> Once the mechanical aspect is figured out, the software should be fairly
> straightforward to drive whatever motors there are.
>
> (After noticing Saturn this morning when I went to go get the paper
> before dawn)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it."
 -George Bernard Shaw

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC