[time-nuts] more solar clock stuff

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 20:11:51 UTC 2014

On 1/20/14 11:00 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I realize this is *exactly* what the OP didn’t want to do, but ….
>
> A PI or any of the little dedicated ARM + GPU gizmos driving a cheap junk HDMI monitor or TV would make for a very nice display of all that data… The total cost could still be under $100. With Linux running on the “gizmo” locking it up to NTP should be a snap. No messy issues with code size ….

Power consumption of even the most efficient display is large.
And, they're not readable in all illuminations.  A big advantage of a
mechanical wall clock (aside from the art aspect) is that you can read
it in a variety of lighting conditions.

Of course, for a *real* challenge.. make a display that reflects beams
of sunlight onto the display (at least during the day time). Sort of an
inverse sundial.