[time-nuts] More Solar Clock Stuff

P Nielsen pnielsen at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 20 20:40:06 UTC 2014

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:49:50 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
	<time-nuts at febo.com>
Subject: [time-nuts] more solar clock stuff

>So here's my next idea..
>

>Set up a 24 hour movement (no minute hand) so that you have the sun
>moving around the dial: at the top at solar noon, with the rate being
>reasonably constant around the dial(e.g. using the solar clock
>algorithms developed).

(snip)

The ways of creative genius are truly awe inspiring. But all I was initially
after is a little micro-driven quartz clock that will tell me when the sun
is at its highest point throughout the year. It is a comparative reference
for a standard timepiece. There was no intention to align sunrise and sunset
with 6 o'clock, etc. Although that would certainly be useful, the actual
fabrication of what you are proposing, in terms of visual display, rotating
dials, etc., is starting to sound a bit "challenging".

I am greatly looking forward to hearing how the basic program works with a
store-bought clock movement.

P Nielsen