[time-nuts] Z3816A Control and Cleaning

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Fri Jan 24 02:41:00 UTC 2014

I recently acquired a Z3816A as a 'spare' and it does not work reliably.
The ALARM LED sometimes comes on and sometimes doesn't.  Sometimes it tracks
and locks appropriately and other times it goes into HOLDOVER.  The main PCB
is very dirty and has the appearance that it has been in a humid and dusty
environment.  I am suspicious that there are some 'leakage' issues related
to this dirt and would like to wash the board.  What would the group
recommend for cleaning the board?  I sprayed it with 91% IPA and used a
paint brush to try to clean the board.  Some improvement but still dirty.  I
was thinking of warm soapy water with a paint brush followed by warm water
followed by 91% IPA followed by a hairdryer then an hour or two in an oven
at about 100 to 150 degrees F.  Thoughts?  I'm a bit concerned about the
inductors and the possibility of water leading to problems with them.

Also, I seem to recall a command that can be sent by SatStat to change from
GPS time to UTC time but I can't find it in my files.  Is there such a
command or am I hallucinating?

Thanks in advance.

Joe