[time-nuts] Help for general GPIB problem

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Fri Jan 24 09:28:42 UTC 2014

John,

thank you for your help. The idea to use IBDEV resulted from the following
official NI statement:

Snip----------------------------------------------------------------

For current and new GPIB applications, IBDEV should be used. IBFIND will
return a board or device descriptor based off the device templates in the
GPIB.ini file. Since IBFIND relies on GPIB.ini to return the board or device
descriptor, it is difficult to port. For example, with the device templates,
the device name can be changed to a custom name. Unless the device templates
are ported to the target machine, the call will fail. IBFIND is found in
older applications and can be easily updated to using IBDEV instead.

IBDEV is far more portable in that it frees the application from the need to
rely on specific device names. IBDEV also returns a board or device
descriptor but allows you to programmatically specify all the required input
parameters in the parameter list of IBDEV (thus avoiding the need to refer
to device templates). IBDEV should be used when creating a new GPIB device
application.

IBFIND should still be used to open a GPIB board communication session, not
for communication with instruments.

But i will of course follow your suggestion to look up Timelab's enumeration
function.

73's de Ulrich, DF6JB