[time-nuts] Nortel GPSDO osc age alarm

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 19:27:20 UTC 2014

ailer2 at t-online.de writes:

Thanks  so much, Nigel, for this very interesting mail.

Yes, the voltages are  exactly as my ones. And yes, I've removed the
oscillator, already. I then  removed the thermal isolation from the osc,
as well as the label, in slight  hope for a hidden tuning screw. Of
course, there isn't  any.
Nope, what you see is what you get, planned  obsolescence wins again:-)

I did find the thermal insulation to be quite useful in  reducing the
effects of drafts, as carefully observed by blowing on it:-), so  well worth
keeping in place once all is up and running again.

I, too, had this idea to level shift the EFC voltage. So I  took seat at
my computer to find out, which maximum EFC voltage would be  ok. And saw
your mail. Do you have any further information about the osc?  The number
on the sign (Trimble *0110-2450-T*  *34310-T*) isn't really  informative.
By the way: When removing the big Trimble label I found a  smaller one
beneath, reading "DOC2127 0101/1940"; I think it's a Tekelc  osc?
This is a comment from page 26 of the Nortel GPSTM  General Spec available
from Didier's site......
-----------------------
XXX will identify which OCXO was used in the particular  device.
XXX is to be either "T", "Oak", or "T2".
The T identifies the Tekelec Doc-1903 device and the  "Oak" indicates the
OFC-4895 device from Oak Frequency Control  Group.
A "T2" will indicate the Tekelec Doc-2127  device.
------------------------

-----which is interesting as it suggests your  oscillator to be a T2 even
though it's marked "T".
I'll have to take a closer look at mine:-)

Is there a pull-up resistor behind the EFC input pin so  that I could use
two diodes for level shifting? Or how did  you?
I've got no information on the internal circuitry so I  just assumed it
would be a reasonably high impedance and used a single IC as a  non-inverting
unity gain summing amp powered from the onboard 12V supply for the
oscillator to add, in my case, approximately 2V to the DAC output from  the circuit
board.

I used a TL071, but only because that's what I had  to hand, with 12K
between the output and neg input and another 12k  from the neg input to ground,
then two 12k input resistors feeding into the  pos input, one of which was
connected to the EFC output from the board and the  other biased very
approximately to 2 Volts using a 4k7 and a 1K resistor as a  divder across the 12V
supply. Again no particular significance to the 12K, I  just had some within
easy reach. The output from the op amp was then used to  feed the EFC
voltage to the oscillator, and that was it.

I hope that makes sense:-)

In this instance I didn't make any attempt to  further stabilise the supply
to the op amp or the 2V "reference" but it was only  intended to prove the
point and I figured the control loop could take care  of any small
variations, and it actually worked quite well.

Since then I've added the SMB connectors to the board  and I'm running the
replacement oscillator via a couple of pigtails and no  offset for that one.
Next step, assuming I ever get round to  it:-), will be a proper enclosure
with connections for an external  oscillator, and perhaps even internal
switching via a latching coax relay to  allow internal or external options but
will wait and see on that.

Given the control limitations I mentioned earlier  though I'm now
considering perhaps leaving the other Nortel board as is and  instead putting the
effort into implementing a similar arrangement for a  Thunderbolt, which of
course has already been done by John Miles as referenced  here....

http://www.ke5fx.com/tbolt.htm

Sooooo, although I didn't feel over happy about  having a "faulty"
oscillator to start with, I'm actually very  pleased with the way it turned out:-)

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

This part is more thrilling than I  expected...

Regards

Volker

Am 24.01.2014 12:08,  schrieb GandalfG8 at aol.com:
> Hi Volker
>
> One  possibility, as I found with one of these recently, is that your
> oscillator has aged such that the required EFC voltage for 10MHz  output
is now
> outside the range provided by the  board.
>
> The EFC behaviour can be tracked if Lady Heather  is  enabled from switch
on
> and the DAC voltage  monitored.
>
> The EFC voltage should start at 3 volts, in  my case reported by LH as
> 3.000002 Volts, and will sit at this  level until enough satellites are
being
> tracked for the board  to decide it can start the conditioning process,
at
> which  point  the DAC voltage will ramp upwards over the course of a few
seconds
>  until  the point is reached where the oscillator frequency crosses 10MHz
 and
> the  control loop takes over.
>
> All  standard stuff of course but, as you've discovered, if the
oscillator
> hasn't reached 10MHz by the time the EFC voltage reaches, in my   case
> anyway, approximately 5.6 volts the board's "OSC" report  switches to
"BAD" and
> "Normal OSC age" switches to "OSC age  alarm" and LH highlights  both in
red.
> The EFC voltage finishes  its ramp at 6 Volts, reported as 6.000004
Volts,
> and then just  sits there, all exactly as you're seeing.
>
> Having  removed my "faulty" oscillator, something that needs to be  done
>  VERY carefully to avoid damage to the board, I found that it  required
an  EFC
> voltage of just under 6.6 Volts for the the output frequency  to  reach
10MHz.

> The seller, fluke.l, was very  helpful as always and offered to  supply a
> replacement 34310-T  oscillator, this one did have it's required  EFC
voltage
> in the  correct range and resolved the problem.
>
> However, whilst  waiting for the replacement to arrive I left the
original
>  oscillator on test and monitoring it for a  while suggested that the
only
> thing "wrong" with it was the required EFC  voltage, so I  reconnected it
> the board using a wired  lash-up on the bench  with a simple 2 Volt level
> shifter inserted into the  control  loop and did indeed get a locked
condition
> with Lady H reporting the  DAC  voltage from the board as close to 4.5
volts.

>  This suggests that whilst the board  design requires the oscillator EFC
> Voltage at 10 MHz  to be between 3 and 6 Volts an oscillator  that falls
outside
> this  range shouldn't automaticall be assumed  to be "faulty" in more
> general terms,  although it's obviously  getting a bit long in the tooth
and that
> doesn't  help much if  it happens to be soldered into your circuit board !
>
>  Whilst it is possible to remove and replace the original  oscillator
there
> is an alternative to physical replacement, one which  I've  now
implemented,
> and this uses the mounting positions already   available beneath the
> oscillator, not usable though until it's   removed, to fit a couple of
SMA or SMB

http://www.ebay.de/itm/300933951405?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m