[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt 1pps

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 18:33:59 UTC 2014

Hi,
I looked at this a while ago. The "spec" only defines transmission levels, it does NOT specify receive thresholds. All the receiver chips I've looked at, ancient and modern, have only positive thresholds. Most have single supplies and clamp the input at 1 diode drop negative WRT common after an input current limiting resistor, see the MC1489 datasheet. Even the MAX style devices with built-in charge pumps have a Input Logic-Low Voltage range of 0.8 to 1.3V

Going negative does help with noise immunity. If you drive the TX to -9V then you need more than 9V of noise to loose the data.

Robert G8RPI.