[time-nuts] TimeLab and the Adev plot

Paul A. Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Wed Jan 29 04:07:51 UTC 2014

Whenever I plot an ADEV chart for a given oscillator I see the diagonal line
descending from upper left to lower right.

With various minor anomalies along the the line.

However at near the end of the plot, in this case 3600 sec at 1 sample per
sec.  the trend begins to reverse at about 1200 sec. in.

Is this a function of the shorter term noise being averaged out and some
other drift the major contribution to the ADEV?

For example at 1200 secs I see 1.72 - 12 and rising to 3.65 -12 at 3600
secs.

Does this make sense?

Also if there was a description of how to read the ADEV graph that would be
great.  I have found several resources that describe the math behind this
reading but I have yet to really understand it.

Thank you

Paul A. Cianciolo

W1VLF

http://www.rescueelectronics.com/

Our business computer network is  powered exclusively by solar and wind
power.

Converting Photons to Electrons for over 20 years