[time-nuts] Tracoe 600 rubidium standard - defective?

Christopher Hilton-Johnson chj at pchjhome.com
Wed Jan 29 13:55:52 UTC 2014

Hi
Help needed please
Bought many years ago, my Tracor 600 has been working fine, remaining on
lock for months at a time.  It now will not lock at all, the front panel
lamp flashing rapidly.
the lamp start process completes OK.
I have a copy of the operation and service manual, but the manual is
very light on calibration - actually except for tuning the xtal
Oscillator there is bugger all (technical term)
A list member was kind enough to send me an extract from the 304D manual
which gives so me more information, but that is incomplete.
I am really looking for a 'how to/what to expect/what to look for'
calibration manual, complete with some figures/tables showing what to
expect, so that I can troubleshoot the system.
I am also after information about what appears to be discrepancies
between manual and machine.  My Tracor is SN: 203, presumably quite
early. In the manual the detailed explanation has the AF Oscillator
running @330 Hz, divided by 2 to 165 Hz, which is compared to a similar
frequency coming from the lamp unit, the phase difference between the
two giving an error signal which adjusts the loop towards lock.
My Manual and the info printed on the machine internals differs For
example; on A7 (audio) Module, J4 is marked as 310Hz out, yet the
schematic shows 330Hz.   similarly on A4 (multiplier) , J2 is marked as
155Hz whilst the schematic shows 165Hz in. The manual refers to the
Circuit Check Meter most clockwise position as 330Hz, yet the front
panel engraving shows 310 Hz. All very confusing Is this discrepancy
common? Is it relevant?  As a matter of interest, someone had previously
set the audio oscillator at 320Hz, midway between the two!
what I am looking for is some way to make sense of the detail of what
should be happening, having settings or values to which I can
adjust/tune my Tracor, so that I can gain a better understanding of
where any problem lies
Do any group members have anything useful I can use, whether skill,
experience or documents to help me blundering around in search of a
repair/calibration?
It would be so useful to know what I should be expecting at any
particular point!
All help gratefully received
Chris HJ