[time-nuts] Morion MV89A position

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 30 04:06:47 UTC 2014

Thanks- What I'm interested in achieving is the lowest posible energy
requirement for a set of quartz frequency stds. It seems to me that using
the close to iso-thermal 'hole in the ground' arrangement is a useful step
in that direction as it should minimise the power necessary for
environmental control.
 When we had the bad quakes here back in 2010/2011 I lost all power to the
gear for several days and the backup batteries only held it running for
about 36 hours. This, after the oscillators had been running continuously
for 7 years.  So, rather than invest heavily in a higher capacity battery
bank, I'm looking to get the lowest energy requirement for the essential
things like reference oscillators and a minor amount of logging eqpt.
Inconvenience re access etc is a minor issue in the overall scheme of things
from my point of view.
I guess I may have to just try it.

Regards
Dave Brown