[time-nuts] interesting oscillator setup.... Symmetricom

Paul Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Thu Jan 30 12:18:04 UTC 2014

Hey All,

I recently came into a few CO clock modules made by Symmetricom, Austron, etc.
These were  Stratum 3E  level clocks.

One of the modules can be seen here pictures 2,3,4
http://rescueelectronics.com/timeplot

The  module ran in the position where the heatsink fins were vertical.
The heatsinks  had nothing to do in this module as there no active component connected to it

If you look closely you can see that the actual oscillator is electrically isolated from the alum. holder.
There were really no power components on the module that needed cooling.

Then I thought, could this be an example of thermal capacitance in play here.
Three is a lot of thermal mass not directly connected to the oscillator,

What do you guys think?

BTW if anyone could help me with me pin outs for this unit I would be much obliged

Thank you

PauLC
W1VLF