[time-nuts] Introduction and info about a Lucent RFTG

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 12:06:03 UTC 2014

Hi Denver

When you refer to one "side" or the other, do you have the complete RFTG
unit with the two modules?
I only have the internals of the Rubidium module so would hardly claim to
be an expert on these, or on much else for that matter:-), but as I
understand  it from the documentation this is a "reduntant" system, in that either
the GPSDO  or the Rubidium module is active at any one time with the other in
 standby.
In other words, there's no suggestion that the Rubidium module is locked to
 GPS, it is indeed free running, whilst the GPS module is used to
discipline  its own crystal oscillator.
However, although the "free running" Rubidium module will need occasional
adjustment, as opposed to the GPSDO wich shoudn't, a free running Rubidium
reference is still not something to be sneezed at.

Section 2.1 "RFTG Functionality", in the documentation refers to this in
more detail.

There was a fair bit of discussion here at one time regarding these so I'm
surprised you haven't found more in the archives. For example, another list
 member, Skip Withrow, produced an article in January 2013 detailing how to
 modify the RFTGm GPSDO to obtain a 10MHz output, which he suggests should
also  apply to the earlier versions and I've also seen information on the
Rubidium  modules.

Because my Rubidium module arrived with just the two  attached PCBs and no
outer metalwork whatsoever it was easier for me anyway  to just put the
15MHz generator board to one side and use the interface board  only with its
special D connector still attached to make the thing  functional.
If I'd had the complete unit, including metalwork, I would probably have
approached it differently.

On my unit at least the actual Rubidium module was an Efratom FRS  and
there's documentation available online for these should you wish to run  it
stand alone
However, it would seem to me that without too much work, and utilising  the
existing metalwork, these two units between them could provide the basis
for  a 10MHz Rubidium Standard plus a separate 10MHz GPSDO,  but turning them
into a GPS disciplined Rubidium unit perhaps not quite so
straightforward:-)

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

In a message dated 05/07/2014 07:38:44 GMT Daylight Time, dencohe at gmail.com
 writes:

Thank  Rex and Paul for the replies

>From what I understand my RFTG has a GPSDO  on oneside that has a crystal
oven inside it, and a rubidium source on the  other side. The rubidium
source takes a signal from the GPSDO side and uses  that for longer term
stability. But If I am understanding you, Rex, that  the rubidium is really
not a gps locked oscillator and just a free running  device. I will start
tearing down the unit to figure out if I can make  something more usable out
of it. I will make sure to document it and post  it somewhere on the web. I
read somewhere on this group that there is a way  to bypass the 15MHz
generating circuit and use the existing hardware  amplifier and distribution
at 10MHz. I will also be looking into that as  well. Rex, you are correct as
there is no power supply inside and I have it  hooked up to a open frame
type switching supply externally.

Paul - I  will be setting up my GPS antenna shortly and trying to get it to
lock to  GPS for a more precise reference.

Thanks all
-Denver