[time-nuts] CW12-TIM

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 07:46:01 UTC 2014

Hello Time Nuts (and Time Lords!),

This is my first real post here, and I understand fully, I am but a
grasshopper when it comes to some of the messages I have seen on the list.

I am needing a GPS source of precise time, in three flavours - 10MHz (or
so), 1PPS, and ethernet NTP. In the beginning, the NTP will be most
important, and as time goes on, I'll need the 1PPS signal.

For my clock, I was wanting to use a Timesync CW12-TIM module, set it to
10MHz, and attach its serial output to an Arduino (or similar) with
ethernet capabilities to provide the NTP packets to the network.

If a static CW12-TIM ethernet clock could be made, I would be willing to
try my hand at mounting them to mobile robots, again, for synchronised
timing of events.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this project?

Many thanks!
Shane.
=======================================

Welcome, Shane.

Two possibilities for you:

- ublox modules can give PPS and a frequency (8 MHz IIRC).  Here's one
example - ready-made for a Raspberry Pi, although I recall you may need a
different module than the 7Q shown here.  The module accepts an external
antenna,

  http://ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60&product_id=95

Using the RPi you could then make an Ethernet NTP server.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html#no-soldering

- for PPS alone, with a built-in antenna:

  http://www.adafruit.com/products/746

It might help to know any other requirements like internal/external antenna,
level of accuracy required, etc. etc.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu