[time-nuts] Noise and non-linear behaviour of ferrite

Kit Scally kitscally at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jul 20 05:43:36 UTC 2014

Attila,

>From my (past) CATV experience, ferrite-based devices don't introduce
"noise" as such but they can certainly pick up noise (or transmit) unless
they are toroidal or otherwise well screened.
However, they can introduce distortion if the winding flux density
approaches the ferrite's saturation level.  In the CATV world where
amplifier launch-levels approach +40 to 50 dBmV, close-by "splitters" being
fed this level produce not-so-subtle IM and distortion artefacts.  Drop the
level "3dB" and it all disappears.

Kit
Canberra
Aust