[time-nuts] Noise and non-linear behaviour of ferrite transformers

Stefan Heinzmann stefan_heinzmann at gmx.de
Fri Jul 25 21:04:05 UTC 2014

On 25.07.2014 15:56, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> General Radio used to have some common values of capacitances available in
> "terminator" type configuration and "passthru"/"bulkhead" type
> configuration.  These were moderately useful doing some bridge-type
> measurements. I remember blowing one up once, and taking it apart being
> pretty impressed the capacitor was a concentric design. I haven't seen
> examples of these newer than the type 874 hermaphoditic connectors.

You probably mean capacitors between center conductor and shield?

> I swear a couple decades ago I saw BNC terminator-type capacitors in the
> Pasternack catalogs that filled my mailboxes, but I never saw any of these
> in the flesh.
>
> I do know that "DC blocking capacitor" series-capacitor BNC's are widely
> available from Pasternack and others.

Yes, I've seen those, too. They actually come in 3 variants: DC-blocking
on the center conductor, on the outer conductor, or both.

None of these is what I mean, though. I meant DC-blocking between outer
conductor and chassis, on a passthru connector that blocks DC on neither
the center conductor nor the outer conductor. I've no idea why this is
not a common item, just as feedthru capacitors for single wires are.

Cheers
Stefan