[time-nuts] OT Gel Cell question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 18:13:18 UTC 2014

I think the PbSO4 forms crystals rather then spongy deposits that can
re-disolve on the lead plates and reduces the effective surface are of
the plate.  Lower effective area means higher internal resistance.

With any lead acid battery the number of charge/dischage cycles
depends on how far you discharge them.  You can optimize your system
for either low size weight and cost or for "greatest number of amp
hours removed from the battery over it's lifetime"  The two goals are
in conflict.

Almost all the methods people use to "fix" a LA battery that no longer
holds a charge don't work so well.  If the battery did not have a long
enough service lit it's best to buy a replacement that is rated with
more amp hours.  Don't buy a gel cell unless yu really do need to use
it's ability to operate in all orientations, upside down and such.  If
it will stay upright a sealed, flooded battery will give better
performance.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California