[time-nuts] OT Gel Cell question

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 05:59:12 UTC 2014

To clear up the point,
lead sulphate is very much more soluble in water than sulphuric acid,
and when batteries get flat all the sulphuric acid is reacted leaving
only water. That is why no current will flow when trying to charge them.
It is all well documented, see:
Vinal.G.W. (1945) Storage Batteries,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York Pp. 464

The sulphate is more soluble at higher temperature, and the daily thermal cycling
of an uncharged battery adds to the damage.

There are many popular myths and partial truths abroad, largely, I guess,
because the study of batteries is in few current engineering courses.
Magic additives to restore dead batteries have been around for 100 years,
but none of them are effective.
The only trick I have seen was an old guy who heated car batteries in an oven,
I never found out how long or how hot, he made a living reselling them
with a money back six months guarantee.
cheers,
Neville Michie