[time-nuts] OT Gel Cell question

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Jul 28 12:34:05 UTC 2014

Neville,

Sorry, I don't agree.  There is plenty of ion exchange
capability in the "water" left over from a totally dead
lead acid battery to corrode the skin off of your hands.

I have never found one where the specific gravity of the
water reached 1.0.  Even a couple of drops of acid in
the water would be sufficient for significant current to
flow.

However, it still won't take any charge.  Not even a
milliamp at 15V.

The reason it won't charge is the lead sulfate covering the
lead plates is a very good insulator.

And, to quote my old college chemistry book:

- General Chemistry, 4th Edition, Nebergall, Schmidt and
   Holtzclaw, DC Heath and Company, 1972. p862:

"Lead sulfate PbSO4 is formed by ionic combinations, and
is insoluble in water but readily dissolved by solutions
containing an excess of alkali or acetate ions..."

I stand by my statements.

-Chuck Harris