[time-nuts] Austron 1120 octal based oscillator

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Jul 30 15:35:09 UTC 2014

I've recently acqured an octal based 4.096Mhz Austron  1120 oscillator that
physically at least is a close match to the unit shown  in the data sheet
on Didier's site.

However, this one, model 1120-1FWT dated 1981, which was indicated as
being ex aircraft, looks to have significant connection differences.
Pins 2, 3, 5 and 7, for example, are all grounded to the case, whereas  the
data sheet shows pins 2 and 3 as being respectively a 4V positive output
and  the positive supply input.
Pin 1 has a consistent resistance of 4.6Kohm to ground and the  other pins
all have resistances to ground of several megohms that show  variation if
the meter polarity is reversed, suggesting the possibility of  capacitors
across these.

>From what little I've seen of other Austron oscillators they do seem  to
have been quite consistent with their use of pin 3  as supply positive, which
might not be good news, but I'll  assume for now that all is as it should be.
However, before I risk a bit of trial and error, has anybody else come
across this or a similar variant or have any additional 1120 data that might be
 relevant?

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR