[time-nuts] Influence of Cycle Wraps on TInt-Measurements with53132A

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 6 13:20:07 UTC 2014

Cross-talk between channels and also from time-base is to be expected.

Non-linearity in the interpolator is another possible source. Not having
it calibrated will definitly cause a cyclic pattern over the period of
phase-difference vs. coarse clock. This pattern may look like time-base
cross-talk and well, it does not really care if it is non-linearity or
interpolator linearity, it has the same additive effect and thus needs
to be compensated for that interpolator.

Cross-talk would be between the start and stop channels, so the
time-difference needs to be corrected after the individual interpolators
have been corrected for.

Another resolution detail exist in interpolators, consider that you have
an analog interpolator which is not adjusted, so that it has a range of
893 ADC steps over the 1000 fractional steps of the coarse counter, this
will means that there is 107 missing codes, so nearby steps will have a
higher likelihood. This causes some additional noise to measurements but
should not cause a bias in results for most cases, well except for noise
measurements like ADEV and MDEV with friends.

Cheers,
Magnus