[time-nuts] Loran, GPS, Lightning, Timing

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:46:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One potential problem is that the preamps obviously must remain connected
> to the antennas when the storm gets close, while my ham radio gear is
> normally disconnected when not in use. I have had so much lightning damage
> over here (North West Florida) over the years that I am concerned about
> pissing off the Gods for good...

It could be 100% safe if there were no wires leading back to the house.  A
battery powered receiver that connected back to the house over WiFi would
be safe.  Use a solar panel and a lead/acid battery for power.   The only
trouble is the added cost and a direct hit would still cost you a few
hundred $$.  Less  risk is to expose only some minimum portion of the
system to lightening then run fiber optic cable back to the house.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California