[time-nuts] Dephasing WWVB

John Reed ka5qep at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 28 17:25:44 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

This is my first posting.  I think I’m a Time Nut, at least my friends tell me I am.  I’m trying to get my old Tracor 599J phase locking receiver working again.  It used to work great, but since 2012 has not worked, as you all are probably aware.  I discovered an article on the web that uses an AD835 multiplier chip to square the WWVB signal which gets rid of that added phase.  I built a five section synchronous filter tuned to 60 KHz to get rid of interference and its output feeds the 835 chip.  This all works fine.  Now I have a 120 KHz signal that’s phase free.  The problem is that the 599J won’t tune that high so I have to divide this 120 KHz frequency by 2.  So far I haven’t had any luck with doing this.  I’ve tried to generate a pulse train from the 120 KHz signal and then use a flip-flop to divide the frequency.  This does not work well.  Apparently generating the pulse train picks up noise and I end up with a 60 KHz signal with fluctuating phase.  Now I’m trying to get a Miller frequency divider working, but that’s not operational right now.  Anyone have any other ideas?

John Reed