[time-nuts] WWVB update on the remodulator released last year. Its racked and stacked

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 15:04:43 UTC 2014

Hello to the group. Been a while.
Wanted to update the group on the WWVB remodulator that allows receivers
like the spectracom 8170, Netclock 2 and Truetime DC60 to work with the new
BPSK signal and display accurate time.

The plan had been to leverage the accurate d-psk-r 60 Khz clock for the
remodulator. But Its been a while and I simply decided to build the whole
remodulator up in a separate 1 RU box. Took no time at all. Hardest part
was drilling holes for BNC connectors.

I had a concern on frequency stability and the fact is the internal
crystals of these radios is +-40 Hz. Simply not an issue.
The DC60 would loose lock frequently. Turns out the DC60 had a bad molex
connector on the 5 VDC supply. Fixed issue problem gone.

However I did upgrade the 60 Khz clock from the pure crystal that did work
to a 15.360 Mhz oscillator (Vectron) divide by 256 using a 74HC393 chip to
feed the modulator a 74HC08. I used all 4 sections of the 08 to create 2
outputs that split to feed 6 total ports with 1.8K ohm pull downs for those
radios that sense a antenna. All of the wwvb clock units work and I have 2
spare ports.
Updated the schematics and if anyone wants a set let me know.

What really motivated me was several thread with another time nut and I
decided, why wait build a separate box and be done.

Also will send a separate email discussing the small atomic clocks and how
to use them for the remodulator.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL