[time-nuts] Why using HP5370 ext-ref is (maybe) a bad idea

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 2 00:20:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

Internally you typically run a 1 ms frame on everything. You integrate a
cycle of C/A code on each channel, sample state on all channels with the
1 ms clock and the solution will disclose the time-error of that 1 ms
clock so knowing how a 1 PPS relates to the 1 ms clock is fairly
trivial. The resolution will naturally be that of the core-clock, and
ones the delay for the right 1 ms frame has been setup, the PPS error
compared to the solution is known and you can calculate the "sawtooth"
if you care about it.

PPS as such is not in the GPS signal, rather all the time-info you need
to create it.

Cheers,
Magnus