[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 02:04:08 UTC 2014

All this is very interesting.  However, my interest is frequency.  In other words, I want to know that my standard oscillators are as close to desired frequency as possible, and how close that turns out to be.

Yes, the Internet gives me time of day as close as I care to know.  I have an 'atomic' clock from LaCrosse that resets itself nightly, although it's fussy about where in the house I put it.  If I put it where I'd like, it won't receive WWVB, so I put it across the room.  I called the company inquiring about augmenting the internal antenna but they were of no help.

While watching the clock and listening to WWV, it seems the clock is a fraction of a second behind.  Even that doesn't matter, but calibrating the counter time base is another kind of thing.

I am trying to understand how this is done.  Should I ever get a rubidium standard, I'd want to check its calibration, and that's not a trivial exercise.

Bob