[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 2 07:45:25 UTC 2014

bob91343 at yahoo.com said:
> Okay you want numbers.  Well, I think 10 ppb or thereabouts should do it.
> Somewhere there is a discontinuity in accuracy plotted against cost and I
> don't want to cross that barrier just yet.  If I can get 1 ppb without a big
> increase in cost, I'll take that.

How good is your crystal?

Junk crystals are good thermometers.  Ballpark is 1 ppm/degree-C
If you are running ntpd, turn on loopstats and measure the temperature...
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/slope.gif

I've been watching a 3 MHz ovenized crystal.  It was something like 4 for $25
from ebay.  It's a 2 in sq can, over an inch high.  It's got a few ppb of
noise over minutes/hours and a few more ppb of drift/wander over days/months.
 It took several weeks to stabilize after power on.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.