[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 2 21:00:41 UTC 2014

On 02/03/14 21:45, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> The gotcha is that there are second order temperature effects. If you are going to run the crystal very far off turn, you need to keep it more stable than you might think.

"hysteresis", "memory effect", "restart of frequency drift"

Yeah, it puts a limit on how good a TCXO can track-and-compensate.

I was also considering the use of XOs for temperature sensing, it has
the benefit that it is relatively easy to sense with resolution, but
after that frequency/phase measures is in, getting a good temperature
reading isn't as easy.

Is there a good temperature-sensing set of modes in AT-cut crystals, as
I know being used in SC-cut crystals?

Cheers,
Magnus