[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Mar 3 23:18:58 UTC 2014

Hi

If you are measuring temperature in a room who’s temperature does not change, then yes you can hold 0.000000001 C. That of course is based on the “room does not change temperature” and that equates to absolutely no change at all.

The only rational way to discus temperature stability is as a response to an external change. It change this amount when the temperature around it changes that amount. Trying to compare something on the table here and the table there is not a very useful exercise.

On an OCXO the internal temperature control is always specified with a defined external temperature change. The drift in the set temperature at a constant ambient is essentially “un-measurable” even on some pretty cheap ovens.

Bob