[time-nuts] Time transfer, internationally before GPS

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Mar 4 12:44:20 UTC 2014

Hi

Also consider that the “trip” was not very quick. They were a: spend day or three here, go there (day of travel), spend several days someplace else, move on to next location. Eventually you returned the clock to it’s starting point. The “trip” was only good to something related to the drift of the Cs.

If the clock as it bounced around was good to 1 ppt, that’s 86 ns per day. If the trip was 10 days long, there’s a good chunk of a microsecond involved. If you go back into the FCS or PTTI proceedings you can find the data. They spent a lot of time on data reduction after the trip. Desk time was cheap compared to travel time. I don’t think you will find numbers under a few hundred ns claimed for these sort of multi site, many days crossing oceans trips.

Bob