[time-nuts] Mains frequency

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:15:50 UTC 2014

So we know there are deviations in line freq. But it seems strange in this era of very accurate and inexpensive freq references.
How much is related to the generation? It seems in this era of switching supplies and other complex loads that even if the power were perfect at the generator the phase/freq could vary widely across the grid as different parts of the sine wave are loaded in a non linear fashion. And could a small digital signal be added to the smart grid that would control switching supplies to correct rather then degrade the grid signal?

Thomas Knox