[time-nuts] Using GPS to Fine Tune a Rubidium Frequency Standard.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:24:31 UTC 2014

I'm working on doing exactly this right now.   There is a "ton" of
information on how to build a GPSDO where the oscillator is an OCXO.
But it is almost exactly the same thing to build a "GPSDRb"    The
only change is that rather then sending a command to control a DAC
that in turn controls the OCXO's EFC pin you send data to control the
Rb.    Also of course use some different constants.

There seem to be two different class of Rb.  One takes an EFC just
like the OCXO so the controller looks just like a GPSDO and the other
class of Rb accepts serial commends to adjust the frequency.  These
have an internal DAC.  But either way the logic is the same.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Anders Time <anderstime at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a copy of the QEX 2013 november article(Bill Kaune) "Using
> GPS to Fine Tune a Rubidium Frequency Standard"?
>
> I´m really interested in this subject, but I can´t find this magazine in
> Sweden. I have contacted QEX, but it is very difficult to buy back-issues.
>
> Have any one built this frequency standard and can tell me more about the
> project?
> You can access the source code for the project here:
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX%20Binaries/2013/November_13/11x13_Kaune_PIC_Code.zip
>
> /Anders

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California