[time-nuts] NIST time services

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Sun Mar 23 01:34:02 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.chris at gmail.com>wrote:

> But as I wrote before if you are on a local network and are willing to
> buy special PTP compatible hardware you can use PTP and avoid NTP.
> PTP relies on external time stamps put on but the network hardware and
> is about one order of magnitude better then NTP if you have the right
> network hardware.

I believe this may be conventional wisdom but time-nuts shouldn't believe
conventional wisdom they should be measuring.
E.g. FSM says their NTP+PTP "servers" perform equally well using either
protocol.  The trick is to use optimized NTP software and timestamping
hardware.

> And if you REALLY care about timing you will distribute a PPS or a
> 10MHz reference

Or, to rephrase "equally poorly using either protocol".