[time-nuts] NIST time services

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Sun Mar 23 17:48:05 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> I suspect that what NIST is looking for is somebody in the cloud business
> (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, IBM) to step up and mention that they have
> 2,989,875 server racks scattered about the world and they would be happy to
> run NTP on them for "free". (see fine print attached ....)

There's no mention of compensation in the solicitation for input however
they do want some things that might or might not fit the business models of
the large server companies:
-) Traceable time.
0) 180 day hold-over in the absence of GPS (presumably with less than a
microsend error).
1) Dedicated (low-latency) links to the UTC(NIST) ensemble
2) Notable oversight by NIST.
3) Geo dispersion.

Point three may seem a no-brainer but it disqualifies Amazon if they're
using only native infrastructure.  It sounds like they want what they
should have gotten from Certichron/USTiming but didn't.

I suspect the best candidates would be someone like Hurricane or Equinix
with the Level3s in the second tier.