[time-nuts] HP Z3805A with 100+ns PPS Jumps

John Stuart j.w.stuart at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 19:45:13 UTC 2014

I just bought my second HP Z3805 (this one has a 12 ch. receiver) and have
been monitoring it with Ulrich Bangert's Z38XX software tool.
Last week, and again today, the PPS output has had several sudden excursions
of +- 100 ns or more.  It appears that each jump is followed by a  jump in
the opposite direction a few hours later.

I have inserted the following Z38XX graphs below:
1. Several PPS jumps from last night and early this morning.
2. Similar jumps from last week.
3. Oscilloscope measurement confirming PPS offset. Yellow trace =
ThunderBolt PPS,  Blue = HP Z3805A PPS

Might I have a faulty HP Z3805A, or an erratic 10811-60165 DOCXO waking up
from a long nap in China?

John Stuart, KM6QX
Lafayette, CA