[time-nuts] GPSDO control system

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 23 23:32:06 UTC 2014

csteinmetz at yandex.com said:
> >Can I find a way to move the OXCO into the guts of a GPS receiver.

> I don't know.  Can you?  That is essentially what the Thunderbolt  does, and
> it brings with it the tremendous advantage that it removes  the sawtooth
> error -- which is why some of us think so highly of that  design.  But now
> you are really down and dirty, designing your own  GPS receiver.  Are you
> competent (and, if so, willing) to do  that?  (You are very, very far from a
> "simple" GPSDO if you are  considering this.)

I agree that it won't be simple, but it's likely to be within range of many
of us, if not now, then soon.

The SDR guys are doing lots of great work.  I haven't looked at any of the
details, but google gets several hits for >SDR GPS<.  It would be interesting
to investigate turning the software into timing mode and/or turning that into
a GPSDO.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.