[time-nuts] Airraft Ping Timing

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 01:32:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Joe Leikhim <jleikhim at leikhim.com> wrote:

> One thing I don't fully understand are the spot beams. If this is a bent
> pipe, how do they control which beam serves the terminal? And if ground
> based command, would they not have a record of which spot beam that MH370
> was utilizing, therefore know approximate location and direction ?

The spot beams are only used for high speed data, like for example a phone
call.  The data rate for status reporting is very low,  Only a few hundred
baud if I remember right.

I think they have to request a spot beam connection via the low speed link
to get one.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California