[time-nuts] FEI-5660 Rubidium Oscillator

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 21:13:50 UTC 2014

Aren't those Isochromes lovely?
Just the prettiness and the name itself seems to make  spending $10K so
much more worthwhile:-)

The FE-5660 is one of those featured in the FEI 12 page Rubidium Standards
brochure that's available online, not much data though and I've never seen
a  manual, but most of the more recent ex-cellphone units seem to have  been
the FE-5680s.

Some FE5660s, from Tait T801 UHF base station references, became  available
on the UK surplus market a few years ago and  I've always considered them a
possible equivalent of the Efratom FRS  series, physically and electrically
quite similar, but have never considered  either to be an equivalernt of
the PRS10.
They do all share the same case and connector style, as well  as pinout, so
perhaps made to another common telecom standard at least in  that respect,
but the PRS10 has a 1PPS conditioning option that neither of the  others do
and I seem to recall it also has lower phase noise, so I suspect  someone is
being a bit optimistic.

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR