[time-nuts] Another Arduino GPSDO

Dennis Ferguson dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 00:55:52 UTC 2014

On 28 Mar, 2014, at 20:53 , Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:
> The problem is that it can / might / could / will create a “dc bias” in the noise. When you filter it, you get a bump rather than zero. If your GPSDO has a 47 ns wide sawtooth, that could be a pretty big bump. There’s no way to know if the bridge is seconds, minutes, or hours wide. You can make a good guess that hours are a *lot* less common than seconds….

Yes, and you can get long term "dc bias" not only in the "hanging bridge"
case but, in diminishing amounts, when the sawtooth frequency passes
through 1/2 Hz, 1/3 Hz, 1/4 Hz and so on, i.e. where the sawtooth period
is an exact integer number of seconds.  I think the 4th graph here

    http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/m12/sawtooth.htm

shows a 1/2 Hz sawtooth with a non-zero mean error for an extended
period.  I guess, viewed this way, the 5th graph would be the 1/1 Hz
sawtooth (which becomes 0 Hz when folded into the Nyquist bandwidth),
which is the worst case but not the only case.

Dennis Ferguson