[time-nuts] WWV 12 Hz doppler shift

Graham planophore at aei.ca
Mon Mar 31 22:41:35 UTC 2014

You don't need a fully synthesized radio to this type of monitoring. I
have used my very old kenwood TS-520 to do this but with an external DDS
vfo. The receiver did drift but only due to the radios two crystal
controlled other oscillators.

I have been using my ICOM R-75  which has the stability crystal
oscillator and Spectrum Lab to monitor CHU on 7850 KHz for a similar
purpose. I have attached my plot which shows the effect on CHU's signal
for this  X class flare event.

In the plot, the more or less steady solid line in the middle is CHU's
ground wave signal as received at my location. It doesn't vary but my
receiver varies slightly; about +/- hz or so due to warming and cooling
of my radio room. The varying signal is the doppler result of the 7850
KHz carrier being reflected by the moving ionosphere. I live 25 miles
from the CHU transmitters so I receive the ground with very good
reliability. At approximately 17:48 you will note the doppler shifted
signal go almost straight up exceeding 2 Hz - the bandwidth of my
display is just shy of 4 Hz and had it been sufficiently wide enough I
would have seen the extent of the shift. All times are UTC.

It is fascinating to observe the diurnal effects and when the timing is
right, the effects of such an flare as this past weekend.

An ongoing project is to build a GPS disciplined receiver using a 10 MHz
OCXO master oscillator and DDS for this type of monitoring. It will
likely have an embedded Arduino to handle some mundane control and
logging functions so the recent discussions on Arduino GPSDO etc have
been quite interesting.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc