[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat May 3 05:18:07 UTC 2014

here is what I'd do....

Get a decent OCXO (ovenized crystal oscillator and control it with your
GPS.   Don't worry if the GPS's PPS is 50ns or 5ns.  You are going to be
averaging these for a while.    Basically you build a GPSDO.    These have
become very easy to make.   I have one I made for about $8 and it has not
gained or lost 100ns in weeks.

Next get a second uP, not the one controlling the GPSDO.   let your GPSDO
10MHz output drive this uP's counter and have the thing your are timing
connect to the pin that will capture the counter.   This is done in
HARDWARE.    The pin can cause the hardware counter to be captured  to a
register.  So the software need not be "real time"   The counter is ALSO
captured by the 1 PPS from the gps.    This way you capture both the one
second "tick" and your event.   You log the number of "counts" past the
second.

You can use ARM processors but I'm doing this with an Arduino cone I got on
eBay for under $4.  You do not need much CPU power as all the real time
stuff is done in the uP's peripheral hardware.  The uP only has to send the
data over a link or log it so an SD memory card.   even the 8-bit AVR is
faster than I need for that.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California